Tuesday, February 23, 2010

If you build it......well, you have just started

Hi all,

I decided the best way for me to document my journey back into the world of model railroading was to create a blog. It is so easy these days and with the advent of Blogger, there is no shame in publishing mundane, geeky manifestos to your passion in life. So here is a neat and tidy summary of what I will be posting on this blog:

The Objective

Share my experience building a HO scale model railroad on a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood based on the book, HO Railroad that Grows by Linn H. Westcott.

My Background

I am not mechanically inclined and I always hire an electrician when it comes to household wiring. I, however, like to challenge myself in both areas. If I can fix something and get it working again, then I am a happy camper. My passion for model railroading came from my father and the now defunct Tyco toy company. My old man and I built a version of the layout I am embarking to build back in about 1979/1980. Actually, my dad did most of the work and I just played with the trains. I had a Tyco set with a Santa Fe engine and numerous buildings, etc.
This past Christmas I stumbled upon the old Tyco set and got it running again. So that is what inspired me to build the layout once again. I live in a suburb of Chicago and it is rich in railroad history. I will share my experience with what I come across in the Midwest as far as where to find good train stores and swap meets.

The Theme

I would like to keep my railroad mostly old school. And when I say old school, I mean no computer chips and wireless, handheld controllers. I will use new code 100 Atlas track, Atlas switches, old Tyco trains, track, and buildings, old MRC transformers, and new Life Like products. Have I plugged enough vendors yet?

Updates

I plan to post updates of the progress I am making with the layout and share my successes and failures. For instance, is it me or is it like totally impossible to put the little wire rails on an Athearn engine?!?!?! Good lord, I almost broke down and cried it took me so long to get the rails placed all in the right order and on the engine. Here is how it turned out:



I will also post any tips and neat info I stumble across during this journey. If I help out one other 40 year old train geek along the way, then mission accomplished!!

The Disclaimer

One thing you have to know about me is that I am not ultra serious. I have quickly found that one aspect of model railroading is the extent to which you stick to realism. So here it is....we are working with a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of plywood (or in my case, I made it 4 x 9) and there is NOT much space to work with. You can not make a realistic railroad that is fun on such a small board. So my design will be whimsical in many ways and a land of enchantment. Is a Lowenbrau Brewery enchanting? An update on the brewery will be forthcoming. Yah hey dare! Point being, I am not trying to win an award for realism. Thanks! I hope you enjoy this journey with me.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....Goebberton. I was thinking Blatzville for the name of my town. But now I must reconsider!

    ReplyDelete