Monday, March 8, 2010

2010 High Wheeler Train Show

Yes, this past Sunday my daughter and I went to the NMRA sponsored 2010 High Wheeler Model Train Show at Harper College. That is quite a mouthful. It was a two day event featuring displays by numerous model train clubs. From the Boy Scouts to the Chicago Northwest Train Club, there were trains of all shapes and sizes represented. I guess the item I really enjoyed is that the representatives at the show were truly there to showcase the hobby of model railroading to kids. Keep it alive for the young folk. And along the way, they answered questions for the aging train geeks like me who are just getting back into the hobby.

Below are a few highlights of HO scale model train layouts from the show. As mentioned, there were all scales, from N to garden sized, but I am sticking to HO only for this blog.

Example of scenic backdrop panels:



Great detailed country railroad crossing:



Didn't think I'd see an HO scale baseball diamond:



It's the Goebbert pumpkin farm!:



Freight cars trucking through the countryside:



Just want to give a shout out to two gentlemen that answered my questions at the show. One was a Boy Scout volunteer and he gave me some insights on using foam to build an underground tunnel. The other gentleman I believe was with the Chicago North West Club and he gave me some tips on laying ballast. Speaking of which, that is my next chore. Will update soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment