Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Layout Update & Old Mil Boxcar

Stages 1 through 3 are pretty much complete. Just for my own posterity, I wanted to post a quick update of the layout before I lay the ballast and start working on the streets. Based on the book I am following, here is the Stage 3 layout diagram:



I have added the additional curved dead-end to the right of the diagram. The loop in the middle is a reverse loop (brown loop section above) and I have added a terminal track. I also picked up an Atlas Twin Switch and added plastic joiners to the entrances. This will give me the ability to switch terminals and keep the direction of the engine consistent. Here are the updates:









Pretty cool, eh? Yes it is. I can not wait to set up my command center and get all the switches hooked up! If the rain and cold weather keeps up here in Algonquin, I will be getting that accomplished sooner than later.

Now on to the Old Milwaukee boxcar. In my last post, I mentioned that I picked up an old Tyco boxcar for $1 at the show. I also purchased some Old Milwaukee decals (for a lack of a better word) for $3. The decals are like fake tatoos, you soak them in water and then slide them on to the object. I re-painted the boxcar with a flat white paint. Here is how my cheap, custom made Old Milwaukee boxcar turned out:



Prety sweet, huh?! Perfect for Goebbert's Beertown USA. That's it for now. Oh, some good news for Beertown...a hotel and German beer garden is on it's way via eBay. Yeah baby, were getting out the lederhosen and playing polka music! Update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment